Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Who Knew!?

I had full intentions of doing a whole blog as requested with an excerpt from The Golden Bough etc. but once again my day has gotten away from me and I am feeling a little nervous, not to mention unqualified to match some of the other blogs from this class.  But I found myself very compelled to blog this evening after a week of very clear revelation. 
To  explain.   Prior to this class, and specifically this week, I would have argued vehemently that I do not really "believe" or worse yet, care for mythology.  My husband is very intrigued with the whole mythology thing, but he also love the sci-fi channel etc.  I am not like that. Much more serious, grounded, logical.  hmmmmm.  I am also, Catholic, and yes, I am a practicing Catholic, not a recovering Catholic like many people describe themselves to me as.  I am actually one of those that goes to church every week, has lived my whole life, living it, believing it and taking great pride and peace from my religious beliefs. 
I sat and listened to my priest give a very lengthy explanation of the eucharist and how, yes, we do consume the body and blood of Christ at communion, it is not a symbol, but yes it is the real thing.  I have never in my life questioned that fact.  Now today I sat and looked through the internet and looked for unique creation stories. It should not come as a suprise to tell you all that I am also of Irish heritage.  So,of course I looked for Celtic creation stories.  I will share in class what I learned that still makes me giggle about that.  Anyhow, I had a meeting at my church tonight.  One that included all of the rituals that I have followed forever, without question.  But what opened my eyes and gave me a true Ah-ha moment was when I recited one of the prayers that I have said a million times, again without questioning it ever.  Glory be to the Father, to the son, and to the Holy Spirit.  As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever will be, world without endAmen. That just seemed to sum up so much of what we have discussed in class regarding how things never change, etc. etc. etc.  And to think I never believed in myth!!  Who knew??

No comments:

Post a Comment