Saturday, October 30, 2010

Book Three

Book 3 continued. 
Semele - Another good example of a women scorned.  Juno is a bit mad that another woman, Semele, is about to give birth to her husbands child.  Who wouldnt be?  So she tricks Semele into asking Jove to show himself to her in all his glory.  First of all - oh brother!  So anway, she does, and yes, it makes her blow up!  Couldn't happen to a nicer girl. 
Tiresias - I love this story.  So apparently, Jove and Juno are just sitting around discussing their sex life.  With all of the issues these two have, seems like they need more communcation.  So they decide to turn to the local - bi-sexual, hermophrodite in town.  Well, he does not pick for Juno and we all know how well she handles dissapointment, so she makes him blind, but Jove gives him prophesy for voting for him.  He becomes one of the biggest prophets.  The blind seer. 

Narcissus:  One of my very favorites!  I have found that I can understand and relate to these stories much better by comparing them to experiences in my own life.  Like you said, I am more sure now that everthing does repeat itself. Narcissus is Tiresias's first prophecy.  He says he will never grow old if he comes to know himself.  Well, he catches a glipse of himself in some water and ends up withering away from longing to be with himself.  He basically loves himself so much that he just wastes away staring at himself.  I am almost positive I met this guy in the Cannery back in my single days.  And.....I think he is still there and has turned into a Jukebox facing the mirror.  Yup, thats him!



No comments:

Post a Comment